Sunday, November 27, 2011

Swallowtail pupas

Late instar cats have such vivid colors!



The Eastern Black Swallowtails pupated into much less showy, though equally beautiful, forms than the monarchs. They are excellently camouflaged on the brown branches - so much so that my dad almost crushed one when I showed it to him since he didn't see it.

An interesting contrast between the two butterflies (beyond the obvious superficial disparities) is that rather than hanging upside-down like the monarchs, the swallowtails suspend themselves vertically in a sort of "V" shape, with their rear prolegs attached to the surface.

After a good deal of wriggling, their skin split open to reveal the pupa in the same way it did with the monarchs.



 Eventually the green of this pupa gave way to a dark brown.



To my surprise, one of the cats decided to pupate on the paper towel I lined the cage with. So I suppose that this shows the limits of the lighter range of pupal colors - I read that the color range was dramatic, but I hadn't anticipated this!





The shape is so bizarre and interesting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment