Sunday, November 27, 2011

Swallowtail tragedy

This is so heartbreaking - after an unusually warm couple of days, two of my swallowtails eclosed prematurely! One male and one female emerged. They are damaged or underdeveloped in some way, since they are unable to fly. I think their wings inflated and dried properly, but I suspect that they eclosed without having finished developing their wings. I took photos of the lovelies and fed them a mixture of sugar, water and orange juice once a day by hand. They needed me to unfurl their proboscis' with a pencil and touch it to a saturated tissue or screen before they would drink. It was agonizing to watch them flop helplessly around the inverted hamper that served as their makeshift flight chamber. The male managed to escape, and I suspect he damaged himself rather severely in the process, since I found him dead the next morning. The female died shortly after, but not before ejecting a mushy mass of unfertilized eggs. By this point I had moved them to a mesh cat carrier. It still sits in my room, still haven't been able to bring myself to clean it out yet. I feel awful. It helps a small bit knowing that if I had left the cats outside in the first place, most of them would have been eaten, parasitized or starved anyway, and if not the high temps outside would have still caused the premature eclosion. But I'm still wary of raising swallowtails in the future - this whole thing has been so hard. The other pupas still sleep peacefully, overwintering in a box on my porch. I've avoided checking on them to be honest. Pretty soon I'll give them a good misting to make sure they don't dry out too much.







 Drinking from the screen



The female. Isn't she breathtaking?








This is the male - you can tell this by the thickness of the yellow markings in contrast to the female. The male  also differs in his blue band, which is slightly thinner than the female's. A handy little example of sexual dimorphism.

No comments:

Post a Comment